Below are 7 steps I suggest to construct an experiment that yields findings that are evidence based AND actionable:
- Pinpoint key job requirements from a desirable job description.
- Use keywords to search LinkedIn for two to three people who had or are in similar roles.
- Review their "Experience" sections. Focus on the jobs they had previously to your target role.
- Note evidence from previous roles that support the key job requirements you identified in step 2.
- Identify any signature achievements they've marketed that resulted key job requirements. What makes them significant?
- List any motivated skills you offer after evaluating personal fit. What examples can you offer that demonstrate value delivered in previous roles (both paid and unpaid)?
- List any competency gaps you identify when evaluating personal fit. What creative approaches can you adopt to quickly fill those gaps?
To test your theory, schedule a series of networking meetings with thought leaders in your industry and share your findings. Take notes, share resources, and ask for referrals. Good luck!