The following five action steps are strategies candidates can use to immediately design and activate a targeted company list that yields lucrative informational interviews and job leads.
First, define company requirements using the following criteria:
- Size of company based on revenue, # of employees, where they are in the product development stage (if applicable), or if they’re public or private Industry
- Job function; will this be a management or direct contributor position
- Environment: company culture
- Management-style: highly structured or not
- Location: geography, will you relocate, will you travel
- Other parameters you determine based on your particular job search criteria
Second, confirm what companies and positions you are not interested in.
- When doing so, be sure to consider previous positions you didn’t enjoy because of culture or job fit.
Third, begin to create your company target list:
- Identify select companies using various research methods (i.e. LinkedIn, Hoover, GlassDoor, etc.).
- Obtain applicable hiring managers and other key contacts via referrals, LinkedIn, Plaxo, Facebook, company websites).
Fourth, conduct preliminary research on company and industry to prepare for initial contact.
Finally, make initial contact to schedule an information interview. During the interview, only ask for advice, ideas, leads, and referrals. DO NOT ask for employment.
By carefully executing the above strategies, you will be that much closer to securing the job of your dreams. Good luck and happy hunting!
Article reprinted with the permission of Examiner.com and author, Margi Williams