- Contemplate your search action plan activities and milestones to document what worked for future reference;
- Follow up with everyone who helped with your search to thank them for their support and share new employment details;
- Update your LinkedIn profile with your employment details to automatically communicate your status to LinkedIn network;
- Establish system to track accomplishments/milestones delivered in new role;
- Create 30-60-90 day plan to strategically transition into new role and lay groundwork for accomplishing performance expectations identified throughout selection process and job description.
- Identify networking objectives and establish networking plan with these priorities and future career goals in mind.
General guidelines to follow as you evolve and refine your resume in response to new opportunities:
The standard and recommended length for a resume is one full page or two full pages (avoid quarter or half pages). There may be an exception if you are in a highly scientific/technical field and require a CV. An addendum may be used for additional experience beyond these recommendations.
Margins of a resume should be no less than .5” all around.
Use a common font to avoid compatibility issues. Common fonts include Times New Roman, Arial, Calibri, Tahoma, Verdana, Cambria, Garamond, and Book Antiqua. Font size should be 10 pt. to 11.5 pt.
Include active language and high-impact words throughout. Keep the tense consistently in present for current positions and in past for prior positions.
Use implied first person or third person throughout; avoid using personal pronouns (I, me, my).
Incorporate basic design elements (e.g., bolding and lines to separate section titles), but never a picture.
Avoid listing years for positions or education that go back more than 15 years (use “Prior to XXXX” instead).
Avoid using very long lists of bullets or large blocks of text; break them into categories to provide a visual break.
Don’t use text boxes or tables to list information (i.e., summary statements, key skills, etc.) to ensure it's picked up by the company's applicant tracking system.
Consider partnering with our team to develop a career marketing communications that demonstrate the value you've delivered throughout your career. Please schedule a complementary discovery session with one of our certified career development practitioners or transition specialists. You may also visit the Help Center, call 866.827.7302, email us, or use the "Feedback & Support" link located on bottom right side of the page. We also invite you to continue the conversation by sharing your suggestions for advancing in the selection process by adding a comment below.
"The power released when you cultivate, preserve, and project a positive outlook propels the trajectory of your job search."
-- Margi Williams, MSIOP, PCM
Margi is a dually certified Career and Life Coach that specializes in equipping motivated job seekers with the tools they need to uncover the hidden job market and convert job leads to winning interviews, lucrative job offers, and strengths-based careers.