- Develop SMART goals that clarify your job target, including job title, industry, and location (this will clarify the messaging you will use when tailoring your resume, constructing interview responses, and scheduling networking conversation.
- Identify at least 10 companies to target when building your job search pipeline with plans not to allow the number to diminish to less than 7.
- Create professional branding documents including resume, LinkedIn profile, tailored cover letters, and follow-up correspondence (schedule a coaching session to uncover your strengths, talents, skills, and values).
- Strategically tailor your resume towards specific roles.
- Formally conduct salary research to understand your current worth in the market.
To prepare candidates for launching their job search campaign, I encourage you to clarify your focus and job search target. To do so, I encourage candidates to complete the following:
To immediately support your efforts to strategically customize your resume, the following resource can be employed to quickly align your resume with the target employer's specifications: Resume Optimization by Jobscan. Both now and for future job searches, I encourage you to tailor your resume to each position you are targeting using the checklist below:
¨ Review the job description to examine employer requirements, essential job functions, and cultural cues (supplemental research topics may include the company and/or industry).
¨ Decide how you are going to sell yourself – what are they really looking for?
¨ Look at the job posting of interest and highlight key words and phrases; use TagCloud.com if needed.
¨ Tailor the "Job Title" to match the title of the job posting (if appropriate).
¨ Tailor the "Qualifications Summary" section by weaving in the highlighted key phrases into this small paragraph – but be sure not to make this section too long.
¨ Tailor the "Skill Set" by adding in field and industry-related “buzz words” as well as the key words from the job posting of interest.
¨ Review the entire resume to see if there are other skills, responsibilities, or achievements that should be highlighted, prioritized, or emphasized based on the employer requirements and essential job functions.
¨ As an extra level of review, you can copy and paste your new resume into TagCloud.com to see if the resume’s keyword cloud matches that of the job description.
Before you apply to an applicant tracking system (ATS) via job board, search engine, or company career page, take a moment to customize your resume towards a specific job target. To learn more about the above process, please schedule a complementary discovery session with one of our certified career development practitioners or transition specialists. You may also visit the Help Center, call 866.827.7302, email us, or use the "Feedback & Support" link located on bottom right side of the page. We also invite you to continue the conversation by sharing your suggestions for advancing in the selection process by adding a comment below.
“Margi has been recognized as one of the Top Career Transition Coaches by Coach Foundation.”
"I help individuals, families, and organizations navigate complicated career transitions and build strengths-based careers."
-- Margi Williams, MSIOP, CPC
Margi is a certified Career Strategist who’s privileged to partner with candidates navigating complicated career transitions.